Friday, October 31, 2014

The Best of TV's Halloween Specials

Fall TV is my favorite time of year. There are new TV shows. There are returning TV shows. There are super flops, the shows that defied any logical odds and made it on TV, only to be canceled two or three episodes in. And then there are the specials. The Christmas specials, of course, are the most wonderful. Without fail, they provide a warm and cheerful experience; a Christmas you get to spend with your favorite TV characters.

And then there are Halloween Specials.

I'm formatting this post to really emphasize the drama of a Halloween special. Do you feel it?
Halloween specials are mostly sitcom territory, but in recent years, I've noticed a trend of popular dramas airing Halloween episodes. It's partially due to the recent blast of hour long horror dramas that have hit the small screen. But let's take a look at some of my favorite Halloween Specials.

Community: Epidemiology



Community. The Holy Grail of specials. Paintball fights, Claymation Christmas, Law & Order themes, you name it, they've done it. Halloween is no exception. Even when their Halloween episode aired in February it was a blast. I'll never forget Valloween. I urge you to watch any of Community's Halloween episodes, but my favorite will always be Epidemiology: a Halloween party at Greendale goes awry as a terrifying zombie virus takes over many of the students at the college, leaving the Greendale Seven to fight for their lives.

Parks & Recreation: Greg Pikitis



Parks and Recreation is one of the most brilliant shows on TV now, and I would argue one of the best comedies of all time. Of course, it didn't start out that way. I remember reminding myself after every episode "It's going to get better." And I remember that Greg Pikitis was the first episode I truly enjoyed. And it only got better after that. Greg Pikitis is one of Parks & Rec's most memorable episodes for me. You owe it to yourself to give it a watch--it's on Netflix!

American Horror Story: Halloween



American Horror Story's first season is still its best, and there are no signs that it will be outdone. It is a thrill ride from start to finish, and the Halloween episode is a splendid example of the series' ability to shock and entertain. On Halloween, the dead can roam among the living, which is great news for a few characters. And there are several very dramatic scenes involving Constance's daughter, Addie, like the ones in the YouTube video above. The Bad Girl Closet will always haunt me.

The Office: Any Halloween Episode


This might just be an excuse for me to talk about how much I love the Office. But you have to watch a Halloween episode of the Office on Halloween. It's the best feeling--but this is coming from the guy who watches every Christmas special of the Office every Christmas.


Well, you guys, that's it. I hope you have a great Halloween full of candy corn, witch hats, and good TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment